Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kia Ora!

So I've finally made it! When I arrived at the airport in Auckland at 5:30 in the morning I was greeted by 15 people, my host parents and other Rotarians involved in my year. I was really touched that they cared enough to wake up that early just to meet me. The drive home from the airport was interesting as the Kiwis drive on the left side of the road. Every time we turned a corner I thought we were going to die!

I've been staying with my counsellor Bob and his wife Jan for the past couple days. We've been doing Rotary paperwork, setting me up with a bank account and cellphone but also sightseeing around Auckland. It's been amazing weather, 10 and sunny with not a cloud in the sky! But everyone keeps telling me that that will soon change to rain. Bob and Jan have taken me to lunch in a different part of the city every day so I've gotten to see Auckland a bit before I move to my first host family in Half Moon Bay tomorrow.

Auckland is beautiful. The ocean is everywhere you look and there are always sail boats out in the water. The buildings and houses are really different from back home. Many of them look very modern with straight lines and a lot of large windows and glass. (Probably so they can have a look at that ocean!) There are a lot of similarities between Canada and NZ but I'm having a lot of fun learning the differences.

I had my first Rotary meeting last night. All the Rotarians were so so nice to me and very interested in talking to me. They were also really funny and the food was fantastic, so overall a really lovely evening... even though I had to wear my blazer!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great Kirsten!
    Can't wait to see some of your pictures :)
    - Nina

    ReplyDelete