Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Rugby, Marae and Zumba


Tramping through mud to watch our school's rugby team win!!

Last Saturday, Laura (in above photo) and I braved ridiculous amounts of mud to watch our school's rugby team play their final match. Slipping through the mud was completely worth it as our boys pulled out a victory against a school with some very big boys! Afterwards, the opposing team performed a "haka", the first one I've seen live in NZ! It was kind of scary, but mostly awesome.

I'll be seeing some more Maori culture this weekend as Rotary is running an orientation/Moari culture weekend at a local Marae. (A Marae is the meeting place/spiritual centre for Maori people). This weekend is for both inbounds and outbounds and should be a good laugh.

Yesterday Roger, Cathy (my host parents) and I went to their son Darrel's house to have dinner with his family. We had delicious Thai food. Unfortunately, Patricia, Darrel's wife, and I were going to a Zumba class afterwards and the Thai food did not agree with that! Despite a belly full of noodles, the class was SO much fun! Patricia and I didn't know what the heck we were doing, but we had a ball shimming to the (very loud) music! It was so nice of her to invite me along and I look forward to doing it again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment